Tuesday, December 22, 2009

is it still the best?

I've been wondering, do we fool ourselves about moving one, or do we actually have what's best for us now?

For a better example of what I mean here is, in my life I fell in love with the video game Guantlet: Dark Legacy. Now This games is like 10 years old or so and when people ask me what my favorite video games is I tell them that it's this Gauntlet. Now this game I believe it has a lot of good specs that I look for in games still like: Teamwork, Variety, Story, Replay value and simplicity. well actually the story is kind of weak... but good enough for the purpose of the game.

Anyway, this game is an old game for the Playstation 2 (although I found it better on the game cube) and now that we have a Playstaion 3, you think that I would move on. I mean there has to be a better game right? ... well technically I guess there doesn't have to be one.

On christmas I got me and sam Army of Two, which has a lot of the same things I look for in games. Teamwork, Variety, Story, Replay value and it makes up for simplicty with the use of skill that is required. This game too is really awesome but I still tell people that Gauntlet is my favorite.

I'm wondering if it's just a human characteristic to believe that what you always wanted then should be what I always want now.

I remember going to a youth conferance and having John Bytheway as one of our youth speakers. Someone, after having given his .... lesson (?), said that someone else was better than his still and another person, who loved Mr. Bytheway, was insulted (Somewhat) by this and denied that someone else could be better. Personally I didn't think he was on fire but it wasn't the worst, but that doesn't matter anyway.

Just another example so it's not like I'm asking you if I should stop telling people that Gauntlet is the best.

Well that's my question I guess. Do we attach to outdated things because we fear change or do we actually want to keep our old things with us because we truly enjoy them?

T-G

3 comments:

  1. Final Fantasy VII, Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic II...

    I don't know. I've added games, Final Fantasy X, Bioshock, God of War, Borderlands. I can incorporate these games as spectacular works of art, incredible achievements, but I'm stuck on Final Fantasy VII as my favorite game ever. (After Donkey Kong, of course.)

    I can't elucidate everyone's reasons, but I've wondered along similar veins concerning myself, and my best guess is my age at the time of exposure.

    I was 14 or something when FFVII came out. It was an age of incredible growth, puberty and all. At that time, your mind is undergoing so much, and your understanding of things is totally changing.

    So, I think the age for me, gave me this new mind with which to view and appreciate the universe. It just so happened, that at the same time I was this age, Final Fantasy VII was the best game(in my mind) that was out. So, I attached myself to it.

    I think people could do the same with music, books, movies, etc... There is no way that Final Fantasy VII is perfect, that it is the best game ever made, or anything like that. But, when it came out, it was the best it could be. It was perfect for just a moment, and my mind married itself to that.

    I can't imagine any game replacing it as my favorite, because I'll never be 14 again. I'm losing my train of thought because Ra-Ra is crying. Sorry this response was so disjointed. If I think of something better, I'll bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps there's something to be said for constancy, though. I think that having made up one's mind and sticking to it is a mark of maturity. Liking something only until the next thing replaces it, at least in my mind, casts strong doubt on the veracity of the attraction. In a world where mass media feeds us a steady diet of more/newer/glitzier is better, I think there's something to be said for commitment, for choosing to like something on its own merits and appeal rather than the primacy/recency effect.

    ReplyDelete